On Location Artist Residency (Enrolment Deposit)
PRESTIGIOUS THANGKA ARTIST IN RESIDENCY COURSES-2023 -24
3 MONTHS INTENSIVE / 6 MONTHS / ONE YEAR
- MODE: ON LOCATION (Art Residency and Meditation Course)
3 MONTHS COURSES FROM
1 APRIL TO 30 JUNE
1 JULY TO 30 SEPTEMBER
1 OCTOBER TO 31 DECEMBER
1 JANUARY TO 31 MARCH
6 MONTHS COURSES FROM
1 JULY TO 31 DECEMBER
1 JANUARY TO 1 JUNE
ONE YEAR COURSE FROM
1 APRIL TO 31 MARCH
- DATES OTHER THAN MENTIONED HERE ARE SUBJECT TO AVAILIABILITY OF SEATS
- WHERE: Nestled in the Himalayas in Northern India is the Himalayan Art Museum. Envisioned by Master Locho and his wife Dr Sarika Singh, the space exhibits 45 contemporary quality Thangka paintings based on the 2500 years tradition of Buddhist Paintings gradually carried forward by Indian and Tibetan masters. Apart from the Himalayan Art Museum, the centre includes the Thangde Gatsal Thangka Painting School, Nalanda Temple and the Bodhi Gardens. The location of the centre is ideal for nature walks and spiritual growth.
- LEARN: Learn the Buddhist Meditation, Prayers, Mantras and Tibetan Prostrations. Learn the art history and development of Thangka Painting; the traditional process of creating a thangka where a piece of cloth is being transformed into a divine image. The artist learns to draw the images of deities using traditional grids and iconography. This drawing is then transferred onto a hand-made canvas made with traditional methods and materials. The drawing is then inked, before the hand grounded mineral pigments are applied. Dry and wet shading gives three dimential appeal to the subject, while the outlining begins to make each part alive. Pure gold details are followed with the process of opening of eyes, a spiritual and artistic process that whereby the life and soul is given to the image. The painting is then mounted in silk brocades if needed and finally consecrated in order to become auspicious divine and powerful.
- Master Locho ( Master Teacher and finest Thangka Artist)
- Dr Sarika Singh ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarika_Singh_(Thangka_painter)
- Lobsang Tsaten (Assistant Master)
- INCLUDES: Art Supplies, Training materials, Access to the Museum and Library, Fully furnished residences on location with attached Bath and Kitchen. Lunch is provided at the site; the student is expected to cook the other meals.
- WHO: Anyone above 18 can apply, artist or non- artist,
8:30 am - 9:30 am - Meditation, Prayers and Prostration.
9:30 - 10 am - Breakfast
10:00 am - 1:00 pm - Practice Thangka Art
1 pm - 2:00 pm - Lunch
2:00 pm - 5:00 pm - Practice Thangka Art
6:30 pm - 7:00 pm – Meditation (Optional)
Dinner and Retire
3 MONTHS INTENSIVE RESIDENCY
- COURSE CONTENT: Three weeks of intense sketching, followed by one week of inking and finally painting for eight weeks. The Artist carries a Thangka Painting, self- painted, during the three months stay at the sacred space, under the supervision of the masters. Academic Paper on Thangka Painting.
- US $ 50 PER DAY PER PERSON (FOREIGN NATIONALS)
- INR 3000 PER DAY PER PERSON (INDIAN NATIONALS)
6 MONTHS RESIDENCY
- COURSE CONTENT: Eight weeks of intense sketching followed by two weeks of inking and finally painting for fourteen weeks. The Artist carries one to two Thangka Painting(s), self- painted, during the six months stay at the sacred space, under the supervision of the masters. Academic Paper on Thangka Painting.
- US $ 40 PER DAY PER PERSON (FOREIGN NATIONALS)
- INR 2500 PER DAY PER PERSON (INDIAN NATIONALS)
ONE YEAR RESIDENCY
- COURSE CONTENT: Three months of intense sketching followed by two weeks of inking and finally painting for eight months. The Artist carries two to three Thangka Paintings, self- painted, during the twelve months stay at the sacred space, under the supervision of the masters. Academic Paper(s) on Thangka Painting.
- US $ 30 PER DAY PER PERSON (FOREIGN NATIONALS)
- INR 1700 PER DAY PER PERSON (INDIAN NATIONALS)
This is the enrolment amount for all of our 3 months, 6 months and one year artist residency programs (Residential or Non-Residential). Since the seats are limited, this is a non-refundable amount and will be later adjusted in the final fee amount. In case you are unable to attend on the chosen dates, you can request rescheduling.
Please pay the Enrolment Deposit amount then SUBMIT APPLICATION FORM HERE